Call to all artists who draw Superheroes!
The City of Campbell River and the Public Art Committee are seeking 3-4 developed super hero characters from artists and artist teams for a Super Hero wall mural/panels being incorporated into the new Campbell River Water Supply Building. The goal of the project is to communicate the story of Campbell River’s water treatment process through cartoon super heroes. The deadline to submit sketches of super hero characters will be June 16, 2017.
The City’s new water treatment building design has advanced to 90% with construction anticipated to be complete in late 2017. As part of the main operational space in the building, the City has reserved a 10m x 5m mural space for water treatment themed super heroes to tell the story of Campbell River’s water treatment process.
Artists or artist teams will develop 3-4 super hero characters with a water treatment theme in a similar aesthetic, drawing inspiration from iconic pop culture super heroes found in the Marvel, DC, Dark Horse Comics, etc. Some examples of characters are below:
- ‘UV Man’ or ‘UV Woman’ (a super hero) who uses super powered ultra violet vision to seek out and destroy sinister looking cryptosporidium and giardia parasites (the bad guys). This would reflect the primary disinfection process where UV rays are used to disinfect the water by altering the DNA of these micro-organisms and render them harmless.
- ‘Mad Scientist’ (a super hero) working in a laboratory mixing concoctions that are used to fend off invading lake monsters (the bad guys). This could be used to illustrate how the water treatment building manufactures sodium hypochlorite and uses it as a secondary method of disinfecting the community water system from micro-organisms.
- ‘Tornado Man’ or ‘Whirlwind Woman’ (a super hero) who can create high winds to ward off threatening obstacles that are being thrown at them. This could be used to illustrate how the facility uses high pressure air to blow off debris from the water intake so that water flow is maintained.
- ‘Captain Current’ or ‘Wattage Woman’ (a super hero) who uses their super charged electrical powers to keep the power running when surrounded by disaster. Artists or artist teams are asked to submit samples of completed character development work and a cost estimate per square foot of mural.
Artists or artist teams are asked to submit samples of completed character development work and a cost estimate per square foot of mural.
Maximum budget allocation: TBA
Artists are asked to submit a quote based on cost per square foot of mural.
Submissions should consist of:
- 3-4 sketches of characters, showing the ‘style’ of Superhero drawings. The Call is specifically looking for styles based on iconic Marvel or DC comic superheroes.
- Current CV
Interest in an artist’s submission will be followed up by the City of Campbell River Public Art Sub-Committee.
All submissions must be completed in full, as well as postmarked, or hand delivered by the date and time of the deadline to be considered. Proposals to be returned to artists must include a self-address stamped envelope.
Proposal Evaluation Guidelines
The Public Art Committee shall consider and evaluate the following:
Drawing style – drawing inspiration from iconic pop culture super heroes found in the Marvel, DC, Dark Horse Comics.
City of Campbell River
ATTN: Public Art Sub-Committee, Proposals
301 St. Ann’s Road, Campbell River, BC
SOURCES FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
RESOURCES FOR QUESTIONS
Ken Blackburn, Chair of the Public Art Sub-Committee